COVID-19 TRAVEL UPDATE – PANAMA
Updated February 5th, 2021
Panama Implements Flexible Testing Policy to Make Entry Easier for Travelers
Travelers Will be Able to Get a COVID-19 Test Upon Arrival to the Airport
Like most Latin American countries, the Panamanian government has implemented procedures requiring proof of a negative COVID-19 test for all international travelers. However, Panama is also providing the innovative alternative of getting tested at the airport upon arrival to Panama. This makes it easier for people who are not able to get a test or have their results delayed to enter the country safely.
COVID-19 Testing Requirements and Details
- All visitors to Panama must present a negative COVID-19 test result take a minimum of 48-hours prior to their arrival to Panama. Either a PCR or antigen (rapid) test is accepted.
- If it is not possible for a traveler to obtain a COVID-19 test within the stated time frame, they will be allowed to enter Panama under the following conditions:
- An antigen (rapid) test will be administered upon arrival to the airport in Panama. This will be done at the traveler’s expense and costs $50 USD.
- If the antigen test comes back negative, the traveler will not have to quarantine and can freely travel.
- If the antigen test is positive, the traveler will be required to quarantine at a government designated hotel. This will be accommodated by the Panamanian government and not at the cost of the traveler.
- Upon the 7th day of quarantine, a second antigen test will be administered. If this comes back negative, they will be allowed to exit quarantine. If positive, the traveler must remain in quarantine until the result comes back negative.
Other Entry Requirements and Regulations
- Before entering Panama, all travelers must sign and complete an electronic sworn affidavit prior to checking in for their flight. This form can be found on the official Panama Digital website.
- Any traveler who has been to the UK or South Africa within the 20 days prior to arrival to Panama will be denied entry. This applies to all travelers who are not nationals or permanent residents of Panama.
- COVID-19 medical insurance is not required for entry, but is recommended by government agencies.
Important Information for Your Stay
- Curfew and movement restrictions have indefinitely been put in place by the Panamanian Government as of January 14th. There is a nationwide curfew from Monday through Friday from 9:00 PM until 4:00 AM. Certain regions may have additional restrictions as follows:
- In the Panama Province and Panama Oeste Province (including Panama City) gender based movement restrictions are in place for shopping. Men can enter shops on Tuesdays and Thursdays while women are permitted entry on Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays. Full curfew restrictions are in place on weekends as well as weekdays from 9:00 PM until 4:00 AM.
- In Cocle, Veraguas, and Los Santos Provinces the weekday curfew has been extended to the weekends as well with the same hours – 9:00 PM until 4:00 AM. No gender based restrictions are in place.
- In the Herrera Province, weekday curfews have been lifted and people will be allowed to freely move around. Weekend curfews are still in place from 9:00 PM until 4:00 AM. Gender-based shopping restrictions are in place with the same rules as Panama Province above.
- Businesses will reopen according to the following schedule
- Retail businesses salons/barbershops reopened as of February 1st, 2021.
- Restaurants and cultural businesses will reopen on February 15th.
- Gyms and spas will reopen on March 1st.
- Beaches, movie theatres, and casinos will reopen on March 15th.
- Facemasks will be required for everyone in public spaces or public transportation.
- Temperature checks will be administered at the discretion of the Panamanian government and individual business owners and tour operators.
- Please note that prior to returning to the U.S. all travelers must take a COVID-19 test. You can obtain a test at the following locations within Panama. Please note that this list is not exhaustive.
- Hospital Nacional – Panama City – $157.50 USD
- Panama Clinic – Panama City – $99.00 USD
- Hospital Punta Pacifica (Drive-up option available) – Panama City – $95.00 USD
For more information find us at one of our branches or online.
19 West 34th Street
New York City, NY 10001
Phone (212) 947-4343
Fax (212) 947-3535
71-32 Roosevelt Avenue
Jackson Heights, NY 11372
Phone (718) 429-1940
Fax (718) 429-1684
50 Clinton Street
Hempstead, NY 11550
Phone (516) 539-7575
Fax (516) 505-0782
750 Suffolk Avenue
Brentwood, NY 11717
Phone (631) 231-7777
Fax (631) 231 5971
4214 Bergenline Avenue
Union City, NJ 07087
Phone (201) 392-0600
Fax (201) 624-1210